Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for September, 2014

It’s Furniture Friday!!!! I wanted to share this great find with you. I was in Buffalo NY visiting family.  One of my favorite haunts there is the Salvation Army at 252 S Cascade Dr, Springville, NY 14141. I always stop there. They seem to have a treasure for someone I’m currently working with.  Well on this Adventure in Styleland I found these:

Fabulous Find

Fabulous Find

My Goal was to transform them into the Louis the XV Salon chairs that I found on Ballard Design. Two of these beauties for only $10 how could you beat that! And so the project begins, here is a quick picture tutorial it took about a week to do both chairs.

 

Louis the IV Chair

Louis the IV Chair

 

Although these chairs retail for $700, the thrift store chairs look amazingly similar, almost exact same frame…

Removing the cording

Removing the cording

 

 

You can see the thousand staples used to attach the cording, this is only the beginning oy vey!! When asking Gabe to help with pulling the staples, he took pity on me, and I thought OK Green Light!!!  When my husband agrees to a project in our home (and by that I mean agrees to open his heart and sometimes his wallet to help me ), I act quickly.

Experience has taught me that green lights all too quickly turn yellow. Then, before you know it, there’s a big, fat red light staring at you through the windshield of your dreams.
When that happens, you are left with two choices… delays or apologies.  Trust me, it’s best to act while the light is green. Get Help when it’s offered!!!

IMG_0017

 

The fabric had just as many staples as the cording,  I will admit that by this time my fingers were a tad sore. The fabric came off quickly with Gabe’s strong hands… and before you know it we were down to the frame working together..

IMG_0025

Finally!!!! all the staples out and it was time for spray paint!!

 

The spay paint that I used was Satin Black from Rust-Oleum.

Black Spray paint for Ballard Chair Makeover

I spayed the frames with two coats and let them dry for a day before I began to start covering them, this also gave my hands a break, because at this point I was on my own, and was determined to finish these by the end of the week!

I decided to use drop clothes to cover these chairs,   I’ve always wanted to use drop cloths as a slipcover (from Martha Stewart’s magazine years ago). This was my opportunity, here is the what I used:

10 oz. drop cloth

10 oz. drop cloth

I washed and press the drop cloth first.  I used the old fabric we removed from the chair to create a pattern for the seat and back.

 

 

IMG_0113Stapling the fabric was a little tricky, I needed to pull it tight and staple it as I went, this didn’t always go smoothly, I had to remove some staples a couple of times because the fabric would pucker, but after you get a rhythm going, it goes along quickly. I did sew the fabric cording, and decided to use a black gimp on the arm pads.

IMG_1754

Here is the finished product (pictures are not professional). This was an easy project total cost was about $60! What do you think??

 

IMG_1753

 

IMG_1751

 

IMG_1743

Here is a picture of the living room where the chairs reside now,  complete with our Chocolate Lab Chino to compliment the brown in the room! Another project done!!

 

Stayed tuned for move Adventures in Styleland!!

 

XOXO

 

M

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Little Green Notebook

Design, Fashion and Food!

Just Imagine ExtraOrdinary

Reimagining the ordinary in homes, gardens and our lives.

Miss Mustard Seed

Move Mountains In Your Home

A Little Bit of Boondock Life

Just another day in the middle of nowhere...

Frugal with a Flourish

Design, Fashion and Food!

Clover Lane

Design, Fashion and Food!

Centsational Style

Design, Decorating & DIY

SOMETHINGVILLE.com

pictures, words, food, adventures and once in a while, something random